Asalha Puja Day is the holy day of Buddhism. It falls on the moon day of the 8th lunar month. For this year is Sunday 5th July 2020, this day is a national holiday in Thailand
For events taking place during the times of our Lord Buddha as follows.
- It was the day of our Lord Buddha’s first sermon.
- It was the day of our Lord Buddha’s first disciple.
- It was the day of the first Buddhist monk
- It is the birth date of the Triple Gem, the Dhamma, and the monk
Image by DuongNgoc1987 from Pixabay
During his first sermon, the lord Buddha talked about ‘The Middle Way or Middle Path ‘, which means that we should try hard enough but not too hard. If we wish to be successful in Spiritual life, we should avoid the two extremes:
- Trying too hard, such as not eating or not sleeping enough and
- Not trying hard enough, such as eating and sleeping too much.
Image Dean Moriarty from Pixabay
“Setting into motion the wheel of dhamma” is the teaching which is encapsulated for Buddhists in the four noble truths: or Ariyasajja namely that there was Suffering (Dukkha), there were causes of Suffering (Samudaya), how the Suffering could be extinguished (Nirodha), and the path leading to the cessation of Suffering (Nirvana).
Guidelines to help us to live in this way and together they are called “The Noble Eightfold Path or Magga” could lead to the cessation of suffering, which Lord Buddha described as follows
Image by Gordon Johnson from Pixabay
- Right View or Right Understanding is four noble truths (Sammaditthi)
- Right Thought (Samma angkappa)
- Right Speech (Samma Vaja)
- Right Action (Samma Kamanta)
- Right Livelihood (Samma Ajeeva)
- Right Effort (Samma Vayama)
- Right Mindfulness (Samma Sati)
- Right Concentration (Samma Samadhi).
So, The Buddha’s words advised people to go good: speak and act and earn their living in good ways, avoid evil and purify the mind: practice meditation to purify their minds.
Activities on Asalha Puja Day
Image by S. Hermann & F. Richter from Pixabay
- Make merit, giving alms to the monks, and praying.
- Practicing the Dharma in the temple, observing the precepts praying to the triple gem, listening to sermons, joining a candle procession around the temple.
- No drinking alcohol
- Release of Animals
For me, in the morning I will go to a temple for make merit, giving alms to the monks by boat after that observing the precepts praying, in the evening will go temple again for joining a candle procession around the temple and I tried my best every day to middle way follow the Buddha’s words is do good talk bad thing, avoid evil not kill an animal.
I hope everybody understands Asalha Puja Day and guidelines to help us to live in good life and happiness
Are you looking for the Coworking space?
Please feel free to contact us or visit our website (Contact us)